Friday, May 16, 2008

"Going Green" is making me "See Red"


Is is just me, or is anyone getting sick of continually hearing the term "going green"? It's so youthfully trendy - the new "buzz term". It's everywhere - on the news, at work, at the store - the only place I haven't heard it yet is at church and if I do, there is no telling what I'll do.
I've decided that it's my age that is making me "going green" intolerant. Today's kids come home from school with ideas on how they can make their environment better. I think that is great. But when I was in school, it was all we could do to learn to read the Dick and Jane books and a little writin' & 'rithmatec.
I have taken some abuse over the past year or so from Jessica and her friends for not recycling. I did a good job of ignoring them for a long time, until all this talk of "going green" came about. After trying to ignore it, I realize it's not going away. I decided that what is really bugging me is the term, "going green", but being environmentally responsible is something that I am agreeable to. I am not averse to doing my part to help out Mother Earth. After some reflection (and a few trips to the dump with Gordon) I've decided that I can do my small part to be ER (environmentally responsible), rather than n"GG". I decided to start by recycling at least the pop cans. Many of you know that there are enough coke cans around our house to build an outbuilding in the backyard. So, I began saving the cans and made a special hanging place for a garbage bag right outside the door to the garage. How quickly it filled up! I needed to do something with the cans! So Monday came and the recycling truck pulled into the neighborhood. I grabbed the bag of cans and went running after them. (I don't have a "recycle bin" since one of my boys took it to make a sled to go down Simplot hill several years back). When I finally reached them, I asked if they could take the cans; they looked at me like I was some recycle- illiterate (I am) and said that they could dump the cans into their bin. I asked if I could get a recycle bin from them and they asked, "Did you order one?" (they are $20.00) and I answered pathetically, "No, I didn't know I was supposed to". I must have looked very pathetic standing there with my bag of cans and so they opened the side of their truck and handed me a shiny new recycle bin.
I'm off to a great start!

3 comments:

Laura said...

You're hilarious Julie. Only you could get a free bin where everybody else would have to buy one. I'm glad to see that you have a bin now! Way to be ER:)

JoJo said...

First of all I am very proud of you for recycling. :) Awhile ago when I realized how many pop cans were getting sent to the landfills I thought about getting a recycle bin for you but I thought that was too presumptuous. Secondly, I love the term environmentally responsible. I'm using it!

Robin said...

On the "green" thing....Amen Sister.

I just don't think that humans are at fault for the planet warming (if it is warming at all - scientists say it is cooling). But, I do feel like we should conserve and use our resources wisely. So we quit buying bottled water and instead fill up water bottles FROM THE SINK! I know, right? And I am saving a few trees because we no longer take the local paper and get our news on-line (besides the paper here is dumb).

I have also replaced the lightbulbs in the garage, basement and backyard with florescent bulbs (hate the light they put out).

Wow, Julie you really hit a nerve with me. I might just need to blog about this!