Friday, May 2, 2008

M&M's - What Have They Done?

Most of you know that I have always had a love affair with M&M's. They are the perfect candy for two reasons. One is that they are the perfect after dinner chocolate fix and two, they are so little that a woman can convince herself that she is only eating a "little" chocolate while consuming a half a bag, and the psyche never even realizes it (but the thighs do....)

I have two rules for eating them:
1 - Only one at a time.
2 - Let them melt in your mouth, don't chew them. (Actually, you suck on it until the candy shell begins to melt, then chew the shell and then let the chocolate melt).

I love them all: milk chocolate, peanut, peanut butter, almond center and dark chocolate. I love the holiday M&M's because they are the freshest.
But I can't believe what they have done to MINT M&M's. They have ruined my very favorite candy. The highlight of my candy eating was waiting with anticipation for the one time a year I could get them. As usual, I waited this last year until November 1st (the day after Halloween, when they put out the Christmas candy) to go to the store and get my first bag of mint M&M's. Just for good measure, I grabbed five. But much to my dismay, when I got home and opened one of the bags, they were different. For some reason they decided to make them bigger (why mess with a perfect thing?) and the candy shell was about as hard as a tortoise shell. There is no breaking it down to chew on before you suck on the chocolate. As a matter of fact, it was hard. I never made it through the first bag. I tried, but it was ruined for me. The worst part is that I have lost my taste for most M&M's in general. I just don't crave them like I used to. Last month I saw a bag of "raspberry dark chocolate". When I went to grab a bag, I could tell they were the big ones with the tortoise shells. I never tried them.
Does the M&M company realize that a major consumer has lost it? I alone accounted for a great number of yearly sales. They are probably sitting in their corporate offices asking themselves, "Why are sales down in Boise, Idaho?" I have the answer if they would just ask......

7 comments:

Holly Ogden said...

Hi Julie! I am so excited I found your bolg. Sorry to hear about the M&M troubles. I loved reading Scott's letters. It is good to hear how he is doing. Keep posting!

Laura said...

Julie you are hilarious. They have no idea what they have lost by losing your business. Maybe you'll have to find another guilty pleasure:)

JoJo said...

Reeses Pieces? I wouldn't mind having those after our Sunday dinners. :)

Gordon & Julie Bird Blog said...

I think you're on to something there, Jo!

The Harwood Family said...

Julie,

It's Jessica Harwood. About those raspberry M&M's...they are SO GOOD! Even with the hard shell. You should try them out. We're getting grass this weekend and have our garden planted! Thanks for helping us find such a great place to live!

harwoodfam.blogspot.com

Gordon & Julie Bird Blog said...

Jessica,
That could just be your pregnant taste buds talking! But I will give them a try on your recommendation:)

Gordon & Julie Bird Blog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.