Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Rebuked by the Recycle Man!

My "going green" is making the recycle man "see red". Monday I found this note in the bin and here is what it said:

"Need to keep cans seperate from newspapers. I don't have time to throw them in one at a time! Next time I will tag and leave it!" I felt so bad when I found the note, especially since the nice guys gave me a free bin. I've been trying to think of something nice I could leave for them next time and decided what they would like the most is if I would just do as they ask.

I am trying now to keep everything separated out; I put the cans in a bag and roll the newspapers up and smash the milk jugs & take the lids off. They also want things rinsed out.

I've also learned:

No "contaminated" pizza boxes. In other words, if you have a clean pizza box that never had any pizza in it, then you can go ahead and recycle it.

No plastic bags. Can't we think of a way to recycle these pesky little things? The way the food falls through them on the way home had led me to believe they were already being recycled.

This "going green" thing is a lot harder than people say it is. But I will continue to do my part....or at least try to stay on the good side of the recycle man.








3 comments:

JoJo said...

I'm sure he will forgive you! :) Most stores have a place to recycle plastic bags. But you could always go for the reusable fabric ones...

Ben said...

Funny, I was thinking the same thing about the reusable shopping bags. Most stores sell them. Laura recently had a project where she researched paper and plastic grocery bags and I was amazed by how many we waste every year.

Anonymous said...

What ever happened to recycling customer service? My question is: What is takiing up all of this recycling man's time if he is in such a rush that he can't separate pop cans from newspapers? Isn't that his job? I mean, it's not like you're trying to get him to separate a needle in a haystack!