Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Bein' Right Where I Want to Be

Isn't it amazing how an image or a sound provokes memories?

Yesterday I was driving along, happily running errands and this song came on the radio, "cold (root) beer on Friday night, a pair of jeans that fit just right", hum de dum..... because I never remember all the words.

It catapulted me back to an evening this summer; July 4, to be exact. We were riding in the boat to see fireworks and this song was blasting. It has a nice part about stars and stripes and our wonderful country and it was very fitting for the occasion.

But the memory that comes the strongest is being all together, not a care in the world, and being exactly where I wanted to be.

I love it when this happens. It helps us preserve some of life's great moments.

Saturday I was cleaning out my "drink fridge" in the garage and sitting next to it was this old warped case of water. If you look closely, you will see sand in the bottom of it.

I was taken back to boat camping at Lucky Peak on a 100 plus day. Rich called; we needed more water, water, water. So we plopped a couple of cases right there in the water at the beach to try and keep them semi cold.

And then,
Fire
Making s'mores with Cam & Eli
Fireside conversation
Sirens & helicopters
Tent conversation
Dutch oven cooking
Water skiing
Hangin' out
Cam jumping on the tube tied to the dock
Eli wearing his sun glasses as he played in the water
Bein' right where I wanted to be.

'Being where you want to be' is the reward for doing all the things we don't want to do and being where we necessarily don't want to be. There is a lot of that in day to day life.

Where are you?

2 comments:

JoJo said...

I'm in the future (is that bad?) holding a new baby at the hospital...

This has been a great summer. Thank goodness we have football get-togethers to ease us back into winter.

Laura said...

I'm with you Jo, but I'm in a new house! This has been a great summer full of adventures, challenges, and lessons learned (and yet to be learned). My mind still doesn't think that fall should be coming, but I know it's almost here. I can say, I am surrounded by family and that's right where I want to be!