Monday, September 7, 2009

Ramblin' Rose

In February, when I trim my roses, I decided to move this little beauty from the backyard to the front yard. The one that was there was struggling and not looking so good, so they basically traded places.
Did you know this about Rose bushes? You can't plant one in the same dirt where you previously had one; well you can, but it won't grow well.


When I moved this baby, she was just a mass of dried cane, like they all are when you cut them down in February. I nurtured her through the spring - nothing. Through the beginning of summer - nothing; until.....one day I noticed a few little green sprouts coming up from her root. (This is how transplanted Roses will re-surge ((in my little opinion and experience)) ).

She grew, but seemed stunted in size. The bush only got knee high (on my knee you know that's not very high). Her buds were mini and I was sure I now had a mini Rosebush. I was worried that she had gone back to her wild state; Roses tend to do this whenever they suffer any trauma. They turn into a wild, generic Rose, blooming in different colors, sizes and of lesser quality.

But I was relieved to see 6 or 7 beautiful pink blossoms return. Then she seemed to really do nothing until this week I noticed that she had grown in leaf and in blossom.

I think she is back.

And I am so happy with the outcome, I am considering relocating this one to the front next year.
And that's the end of the rambling Rose stories (for now).

3 comments:

Robin said...

awesome. There is an analogy in there somewhere.

WILLIAM AND LYNDA DAVIS said...

I love roses! You do a great job cultivating them.

WILLIAM AND LYNDA DAVIS said...

I love roses! You do a great job cultivating them.