Wednesday, September 22, 2010

How do I find that?

Twice in the last few months, I have had this conversation with my two youngest children, both actually adults now.

Me: :"You'll need to find the Dr.'s phone number so we can ask them about that."

Me:  Find out the number of the pharmacy in that city so we can have your prescription called in."

Them:  "How would I do that?" 

Me:  "A Phonebook"

Them:  "A Phonebook?  What's that?"

Them:  "How do you find it in this?  Alphabetical order?  What?"

Do my kids really not know what a phonebook is?  Or how to find something alphabetically?
Could they be the victim of the ever ready text/phone/information age?

Or am I just a victim of the Generation Gap?

I heard on the news today that over 80% of younger people have no idea who Colonel Sanders is. 

I know Jessica doesn't because she asked me who the "really lame dude" was on the tee-shirt she saw.

I love technology - I do.  But am I strong enough to watch the cliches', the ways and the methods of my generation pass by?

I swear, these kids nowadays........

2 comments:

Robin said...

Oh yes. Hannah came home from school and told me how they listened to music from a really large back CD.

And another (almost grown) child sat in the Dr. office before calling me and asking if I had given the wrong appt time. He never bothered to check in with the receptionist.

Gordon & Julie Bird Blog said...

I continue to be amazed by it:)