Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Adventures in LA

I wish I could say we spent all of our time at the beach while in LA but there were so many things to do;
one of which was find a PROM dress.  Jessica got word while at the competition that she was being asked to the Prom by a guy she really wanted to go with. "We're going all out on this dress!" was her tagline.  Whatever we do, it is her tagline, "We're going all out on this".  It needs to go on the shirt, for sure.

We looked around a really swanky mall for an afternoon with no luck and then a friend that had family in Cali texted Jessica about a place called "la garment district". Jessica then proceeded to tell Gordon and I about it. 

"Is is French", I wondered aloud?
"I don't know, but it's in downtown LA in a seedy area."
"Doesn't sound French".
Then Gordon piped in, "Could it be the L.A. Garment district?" 
Silence.
Laughter. 
It needs to go on the shirt for sure.

L.A. Garment district is like the mouth of the stream.  Blocks and blocks of storefronts open to the street for retail and wholesale purchases.  Everything from prom dresses & suits to shoes, candy and toys.  And I mean everything.  $100 jeans here were just $10 and $20 there.  (We got Jessica two pair - wish we had gotten three).  It would take three to four days to feel like you saw most of it.  It is Canal Street in New York times a bajillion.

Did we find the prom dress?  Yes, eventually.  But that is a story in itself and I'll post it next time.
I love "la garment district".

3 comments:

Tami said...

Can't wait to see the dress and la shirt! :D

Julie, yes, I'm moving to Utah. Trent and I will commute on weekends until he can find some 'work from home' project at HP and can be with me most of the time. Unfortunately foreign language isn't taught via correspondance courses! I should have my BA in Mandarin Chinese by the time Aaron gets home from his mission. So excited!

Laura said...

She looks stunning in that dress...can't wait to see it on Prom day!

Tyler and Carisa said...

Ha ha ha... I would have totally thought "la garment district" too. Actually, I was right along with you thinking it might be french - but i guess L.A. does make a bit more sense. =D

Glad she found a dress! Can't wait to see a picture of it!