Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Getting the Dress

The reason we went to the L.A. garment district was to get Jessica a prom dress.  We went to the streets that had multiple prom dresses and it felt like a smorgesboard.  We were surprised that there were some modest dresses there; when I say some, I mean maybe 2%. 

We had a full three hours there; we had to leave for the airport by 4:00.  The hardest part for me was walking past all the stores I wanted to go into. 

And the purses.....guys on the street saying in a low voice, "you like Louis Vitton?  Over here I have discount for you."

Finally after two hours we had narrowed it down to two dresses.  One was at a shop owned by some Indian people.  I asked for a discount on the dress.  He said no and I started to leave. 
"Okay, for you I give the price on the dress."
"Thank you; we are going across the street to try on the other one she likes to make a final decision." 
"No, you like price on dress, you get it now".  So basically I had to stay with the dress while Gordon went with Jessica to try the other one on. 

I passed the time by putting various jewlery pieces with it and trying to get them down on the price.  The jewlery lady was not compromising, "No, lady!  Dhis is de price!"  really loud so that all the people looked. 
I finally settled on a lead crystal navy blue chandalier necklace for me. 
Then my phone rang and it was Gordon telling me that they decided to get the other dress.
Now for my escape....I walked to the front of the store by the jewlery and when the guy turned around, I darted out the door.

We had a few minutes left to shop the other stores and we got Jessica some great jeans for $20 each.  I wish we had two more days to comb through all of the shops.  It was definitely an event that I would like to recreate.  But I think it's important to have a male figure with you when you go there. 

The best part? That Jessica has a dad who will shop till he drops for her.

2 comments:

Robin said...

Lucky Jessica! You should plan a shopping trip to la garment. SO fun!

Melanie Rae Gibson said...

Sounds like quite the adventure! Way to go getting the perfect dress!