Saturday, May 9, 2009

Almost 30 years in the making!

Gordon and I have been married 30 years this coming December. When we had our one month anniversary, he did a very thoughtful thing;

He brought home a dozen roses for me. Isn't that a thoughtful one month commemoration?

I did a very stupid thing; something so stupid as to guarantee a life of never getting flowers again.

I said, "Did you buy those with OUR money? We can't afford roses!"

In one sentence I squashed the wonderful gesture of my new husband. From that time forward, he assumed I didn't like to get flowers. (Either that, or he was afraid of my reaction if he did).

Over the years, I have grown roses that I am very proud of; yet during the long winters I have yearned at times for the very thing I took for granted as a newlywed - a bouquet of beautiful, aromatic roses. But I knew I had sealed my own fate.

Until....

Tonight. Gordon came in the house and announced, "Happy Mother's Day" and proudly handed me the most beautiful bouquet of roses I have ever seen.

Fortunately, this time I responded appropriately.

I'm so glad for second chances. And so grateful for my patient, thoughtful husband.

6 comments:

diane said...

I love the color of those roses. He did well and you deserve it.

Rachael Havens said...

My mom did this same thing, and for thirty years my dad thought my mom didn't like roses. He always bought her carnations. Funny how it takes so long to make things right. Beautiful bouquet and Happy Mother's Day!

Tyler and Carisa said...

That is such a sweet story!! Thank you for sharing it!!

WILLIAM AND LYNDA DAVIS said...

Beautiful roses for a beautiful mother!
Happy Mothers Day!

Laura said...

Beautiful flowers! Well done Gordon. We miss you guys already. It won't be long now!

Tami said...

Things mean so much more when you have to wait for them...and I'd say 30 years makes that bouquet a real treasure...they are so pretty! Hope you had a great Mother's Day!!