Monday, August 24, 2009

August Magic

I love being at the lake with my family, for the obvious reasons, especially when it's hot and dry. But more than that, in August I notice an extra green in the water that seems to be highlighted by the sun. The sun not only dances on the water, it seems to dance into the water.

My theory is that it is where the sun is in relation to the earth that makes it different than any other time in the summer. But whatever causes it, it is so soothing to me. I look forward to it every year and am never disappointed.

The picture doesn't capture all of it, but some of the sparkle. I love it.
I love this special place because of all the memories we create there. Last Friday night we boat camped and got a great spot at the Robie Creek beach. We carry everything in on the boat and get totally away from civilation. Rich organized this trip and already had the boat up there and the camping spot ready. He and Jo fixed chicken & rice in the dutch oven; we skied, tubed and then settled in for a campfire. After s'mores, the boys fell into bed; they love sleeping in their little family's tent.

We laughed and joked about everything from our tent being on the "cliffs of insanity" to my mistaking the Mason's religion with the Shriners. "I don't know why wearing a funny hat and riding around in parades in go-carts constitutes a religion!" There are so many things I don't know....

About 10:30 we noticed the Sherrif's boat down the channel with it's lights flashing. After about 1/2 hour, we really got curious about what was going on. All of a sudden, a helicopter appeared shining a spotlight over the water; it made four or so rounds, looking at the shore and banks too.

For the better part of 2 hours we were sure that their was either a dead body in the lake or an escaped convict they were looking for. Jess was sure she spotted the convict frozen in action when the spotlight shone across the lake from us. After things settled down a bit, we finally climbed the "cliffs of insanity" and turned in for the night. It was a fun adventure, even though it turned out to be a routine exercise we were told the next morning.

After a breakfast of dutch oven quiche fixed by Gordon, we enjoyed more swimming, tubing and just laying in the sun.

Oh, and watching the magic of the August water.

6 comments:

Robin said...

If I move back will you take me to the lake?

Robin said...

Please?

WILLIAM AND LYNDA DAVIS said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful get away! S'mores and family around the campfire are one of my favorite things!

I know the picture doesn't depict the beauty of the dancing sun on the water, but it's still so pretty and magical!

I love you and feel so connected to you through our blogs!

JoJo said...

Julie I had to laugh because (before reading your post) I used almost the exact same wording about the dead body or escaped convict in my post. Thanks for the boat and for everything, we had such a great time!

JoJo said...

I hope you don't mind that I borrowed your picture, it's beautiful.

Holly Ogden said...

Sounds like heaven on earth. When we were there this summer, we spent an afternoon at Lucky Peak. It was so fun...I love that place! I miss August skiing and boat camping.