Monday, August 3, 2009

Daymare

I get the "word-a-day" on my google home page and love some of the words that appear. This was today's word:

daymare
\DAY-mair\
noun
: a nightmarish fantasy experienced while awake

It made me chuckle, like most of the words do. Everyone should chuckle at least 3 times a day.

On a brighter note, this weekend I tasted the most fantastic rolls. I thought I had that recipe, but apparently not.

As previously mentioned, we had a luncheon at our home Saturday for our niece Melanie's wedding. There were somewhere around 80 people in and out of the house for the afternoon. It went very well and I attribute it to the great people that were in attendance.

My sister in law Janie's sister Carol brought these rolls. After I had snarfed down my share, I asked her for the recipe. In her good natured way, she not only shared it with me, but gave me some of the tips that she uses, and we all know that what really makes recipes shine is in the small details.

Light Rolls (It just sounds like you have permission to eat them:)

1 C. Hot Water
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 T. shortening
1/4 c Sugar
1 yeast cake (in a little warm/hot water) or 1 T. yeast
1 egg, well beaten
3 1/2 to 4 C flour

Combine hot water, shortening, sugar and salt. Let cool, then add yeast, egg and enough flour to beat well. Add flour to handle well; let rise. Make parker house rolls (folded over), rise again and bake. (Can keep a week in refrigerator. Let stand 1 hour at room temperature before using, though)

Bake at 350 for 12-16 minutes. Yield: about 2 dozen

Tips: She uses butter flavored Crisco and you couldn't even taste it. Before, when I have had something made with it, I can taste it.

She puts the bowl the dough is going to raise in into hot water beforehand. This cuts down the first raising to 1/2 hour.

2 comments:

Tami said...

Sounds delicious! Can't wait to try them...

Wendy said...

They were so delicious! Thanks for getting that recipe from Carol and posting it. And thanks for all your help with the luncheon!