Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Stretching the Rubberband

Today is one of those days.

I wish I could gather all of my children around me and have their company for one full day.

I miss them.

I like the adults they have grown into.

They are my favorite people to spend time with.

And I include my daughters-in-law in this mix.

Cam and Eli came for a few hours this afternoon and while Eli slept the afternoon away, Cameron and I played. We colored. We played cars. We played Buzz Lightyear and then just had to turn on Toy Story 2 for full interaction. He let me entertain him with my silly songs and hula dance. He laughs at me. He thinks I am funny. Is that what makes grandchildren so special? They like US? Whatever it is - I cherish it.

When the boys left this afternoon, I was left with this yearning to have my little boys back here with my little girl and play with them or take them to practice (those were the BEST times, in the car with a captive audience), or fix them dinner, or help them with their homework.

But, alas - I have done my job and they are fine, independent citizens living great lives and giving back.

What I wish is that there were a way to slacken the stretched rubberband of time out so that the super concentrated time when they are all at home with a ba-zillion things going on (and you feel like the rubber band is going to break) could be meted out, less concentrated, lasting longer.

As it is, it gets stretched to the limit and when it does begins to slaken, without even realizing it, the rubberband becomes totally pliable. It's changed before you know it.

And it happens so quickly.

"Pliable: flexible, easily bent or molded, adjusting readily, adaptable, suceptible to being led or directed."

Since there is no going back in time, it is my time to be pliable.

This could be fun. Maybe I'll join a Yoga class...

4 comments:

Laura said...

You are so wise Julie! It won't be long until we're back. We're both getting so excited!

JoJo said...

This was so good for me to read. Keep reminding me that these days are precious! And thank you thank you for being the wonderful grandma/buddy to my boys. We are all lucky to have you.

Robin said...

I think my rubberband got too tight a few times. But now it is looser and I am finding other things to fill it. I think you must be an amazing grandma. Doing the hula for your babies. you are very cute.

WILLIAM AND LYNDA DAVIS said...

It's coincidental because today at the YMCA I saw the cutest little boy and girl. They were just precious and I had the yearning to have my adult children young again and living in my home.

It's a mother's greatest desire is to have her children happy and "gathered" together and the days of childhood are magical and delightful.

It's hard to "put it all together" with young children at home because there is so much to do (especially the housework, laundry, meals. etc.,), so much to teach, so many places to be.

It's also such a JOY to have adult children and grandchildren. God makes up for the empty nest syndrome with such an incredible lovely, blessing as those two things are! I love this stage in life. I am realizing that God blesses a grandmother to totally ENJOY her grandchildren without all the work involved in rearing a child. What a gift!

I've never heard the rubberband analogy relating to mothers and it's a good one.

You are definitely pushed and pulled in a million different capacities and stretched until you think you'll break. It is such a short time in the scheme of things. In so many ways it feels so good to go have that rubberband relax!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and emotions.
I can totally RELATE! We can journey this new step together and help each other in the process.