Friday, October 30, 2009

The Regulator

A wagging finger

My dream calling in my church is to be the "regulator". The number 1 reason is because there is such a NEED for one.

Here are some of the duties I perform : (whether in my mind or in action, it happens every week).

*When a speaker goes too long, the regulator produces a cane with a hook and removes them from the pulpit.
*When incorrect doctrine is spoken, the regulator shines a laser pointer right into the offender's eyes, thereby causing him to cease and desist.
*When teachers are excused early to go and prepare their classrooms, the regulator stands at the door to verify if they are really teachers or just trying to pull one over on everybody. Because, hey - that group gets bigger every week.
*If the hymn is being sung too slow, the regulator taps a large plastic wand on the piano until the organist and everyone else gets up to speed.
*If the hymn is too fast.....nevermind. The hymn is never too fast.
*Unless....you are in Relief Society and the pianist, because she is not singing, runs into the next verse before you have finished the last line of the previous verse.
*The regulator makes sure that there are no long or unnecessary meetings. This is a big one and takes a lot of energy.
*The regulator provides a list of those wanting to give sacrament meeting talks. It is populated by those giving closing prayers lasting longer than 1 minute and containing it's own subject matter.
*When the time is up, the regulator stands up and pulls a hand across the throat as a sign to stop. This is especially useful, since the entire congregation sees it too. There's nothing like church peer pressure, is there? (This will have to be it's own post).

*When the third hour is over, it's over. Because we are like sponges, you and I. We are capable of soaking in during the entire lesson, but if it goes even one minute over (this includes the song) the sponge begins to leak at a very rapid pace, replaced by agitation and in some cases, hostility.
*Teach monthly seminars on how our church calling does not define who we are as a person. Nor does our church calling take precidence over other things, like say.....FAMILY.

Stay tuned for part II because trust me, I have only scratched the surface of the need for a ward regulator.

13 comments:

diane said...

Amen to the slow songs and long talks.

I am a leave early offender. Plus I like to "teach" my own SS class in the hallway. I think we should serve donuts during the 2nd hour. More people would stay.

Robin said...

please oh please move to CO SP. and speed up our music! AARRRggghhh!

I will be in Boise the next few days for work - no fun.

Cami said...

AMEN!

Taylor said...

I always knew we were alike!

Tom and Michelle said...

That was a very hilarious, but true, post! I found myself nodding in agreement as I read it. You are too funny.

Courtney said...

The YW apple must not fall from the YW tree... :)

There aren't many things that annoy me more than closing-prayer-givers who think they need to repeat the talks or demonstrate how "righteous" they must be by elongating the duration of the prayer. Whew!

Additionally, being part of the YW group in a ward that has a rather large number of girls has given me a lot of perspective about how much work you (meaning you and your "administration") did for us growing up. I owe you immensely and hope I never seem ungrateful, even though I could have in no way fully understood the amount of time the leaders devoted to and for us.

So, thank you from the bottom of my heart. Really, truly.

Courtney said...

The YW apple must not fall from the YW tree... :)

There aren't many things that annoy me more than closing-prayer-givers who think they need to repeat the talks or demonstrate how "righteous" they must be by elongating the duration of the prayer. Whew!

Additionally, being part of the YW group in a ward that has a rather large number of girls has given me a lot of perspective about how much work you (meaning you and your "administration") did for us growing up. I owe you immensely and hope I never seem ungrateful, even though I could have in no way fully understood the amount of time the leaders devoted to and for us.

So, thank you from the bottom of my heart. Really, truly.

Courtney said...

P.S. It's supposed to say "not fall FAR"... oops. :-)

Gordon & Julie Bird Blog said...

You are most welcome, Courtney. It was a fun time, wasn't it?
(Dixie Chicks "I can love you better than that" at midnight:)

Robin said...

Hey, was Gordon on a plane to Denver on Tuesday at 4:30? I thought I saw him at the front of the plane. I was at the back of the plane and not brave enough to go up and see if it was really him.

Gordon & Julie Bird Blog said...

Yes! That was him.
On Sunday I saw a beautiful raven haired woman sitting on the couch and as I ran up to give her a hug, I realized it wasn't you..
Boo Hoo. You should move back.

Rachel Boyle said...

Julie that was so hilarious. You would be so good at that calling. What about... having auditions for ward choir sometimes.

Clint and Kandi said...

You're hired!! :)