Wednesday, August 11, 2010

EEG, Part I

One of the results of having a random siezure is the necessity of having multiple tests run on you.  The CAT scan - no biggie; the blood tests - no biggie.  The EEG.....

I remember when Richard was 6 years old and had one to determine that he had "petite mal" siezures, or "absence" siezures as they are called today.  They glued little nodes to his head and I got to watch the report print out right in front of my eyes and the technician pointed out right where the problem was and that it was random, and not a damaged spot in his brain. They even took a sweet little picture of Richard that I have in a photo album (not really, it's in a box somewhere). 

One thing I learned is that many, many children have these kinds of siezures.  Most of them stem from some sort of oxygen deprevation at birth or a difficult birth.  Most parents think their kids are just spacing off.  We would move our hands in front of Richard's face and try to get him to pay attention and finally, he would say, "What?", like he had no idea what was going on -- because he didn't.  Speculation is that many kids deaths and injuries have been because of this undiagnosed condition; kids in swimming pools, riding bikes, etc; 

I had read about it and had my suspicions but research showed kids had a hard time in school keeping focus and their grades suffered.  I checked with his teachers and they hadn't noticed anything.  His grades were great too.  Finally, one day we were at his baseball game; Rich was at first base and the pitcher scooped up the ball and threw it to him.  It hit him right in the chest and fell to the ground.  I "happened" to be sitting next to a nurse and she confirmed my fears and told me to get to the Dr. immediately.  The next day, we were there.  He pulled out a handkerchief and had Rich start blowing on it, like blowing out candles.  It was successful in inducing a siezure.  This led to the EEG, just that afternoon and then the medication, which controlled it.  The medication that was almost worse than his condition. He had to have blood tests every three months to make sure his liver was handling it and he had a host of other side effects that he bravely fought through.  Three years later when we were moving to Sandy, the Dr. suggested we take him off the medication, since most children outgrow these.  Sure enough, he had and we were home free. 

A few times in my life I have been grateful for medical technology and the ability Dr.'s have to treat us with positive results.  This was one of them.

Now that you know our first experience with an EEG, I will have to let you know about the second; my EEG last week.  But this post is long enough and so it must wait.  Until then, watch and pay attention to your children, especially if they seem a little spacey.  It could save their life.

2 comments:

Melanie Rae Gibson said...

What a scary thing for a mom! I never knew Rich had siezures. That can be scary stuff!

Laura said...

I think we need to keep the family EEG numbers to 2, once for Richard and once for you. No more:)