Friday, August 27, 2010

The Windy City

I went to the Windy City this week.  Every couple of years, Gordon's company takes the spouses along on a retreat/meeting.  This year it was in Chicago.  As a matter of fact, it was the second time it was in Chicago.  The last time, when I opened up my high rise hotel window, there was Lake Michigan in all her splendor and the famous Navy Pier right outside my window.  We were taken on a magnificent midnight cruise with dinner and fireworks.  It was spectacular. 

This time, I opened my hotel window in anticipation only to find another high rise hotel about 10 feet away (or so it seemed).  Seems we got the short straw on rooms with a view this time.  Oh well.  We still had wonderfully catered dinners and plenty of opportunity for shopping on Michigan Ave.

I struggled with a little claustrophobia.  I clamored for fresh air.  I felt like such a western girl.  The water tasted like Utah lake.  I was having somewhat of an Eyore experience, which is not typical for me. 
Until....the double decker bus tour.  I love those.  From that bus, Chicago came alive to me and I learned all about the great architecture there and saw it represented in all of the different buildings.  I learned that the shore of the beautiful Lake Michigan used to come up past what is now Lakeshore Ave.  After the great fire of the 18??'s, they put all of the left over debris in the lake and it created a great big landfill and pushed the shore out some 1/2 mile or more.  I saw a McDonalds that can serve 600 people.  I rubbed shoulders with the jury pool that basically let their former Govenor Rob Blagoyovich??? walk free after a hung jury.

The guide told me that a lightening bolt hit and caused the great fire that burned Chicago to the ground.  "Wait", I almost yelled, "that was Mrs. O'Leary's cow that knocked the lantern over and started the fire!".  Then I remembered that Gordon likes to tell me stories and pull my leg and so I thought better of it.  When we got home we googled it and it seems like there is a lot of debate about the subject. 

The color of Lake Michigan to me, looked like Topaz. 
Just beautiful. 

I was reminded how much my husband loves me.  Who else would carry this Zebra print bag with a pink laptop holder sticking out of it all around the airport for me?  Without complaint. 

I love him too.

3 comments:

Laura said...

He is a pretty good guy, but you do have reason to mistrust his stories...we've all been on the receiving end of that one!

WILLIAM AND LYNDA DAVIS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
WILLIAM AND LYNDA DAVIS said...

Hi Julie,
That last comment was removed by me. I am in Texas trying to control my computer in Ohio. It only printed half of my comment. Anyway - I was writing that Chicago used to be our Temple District and we traveled there quite often. Usually we only had time to go to the Temple since it's a 5 hour drive one way. We've been wanting to get away to New York City for a long time. William has been there on business quite a bit and he wants to take me there! We always head west on vacations to visit family - so that's usually our dilemma. I'm glad you had a nice time in the windy city!