Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Every hair on my head

About 9 months ago, I wanted a hair change and so I decided to go to Sherilyn, a friend of mine at Madril Hair Design. I have always had dark hair and have always liked it, but wanted a change.

Actually, for 48 years old, I have surprisingly little gray except for a few strays and a patch right where I like to part it. Is that bragging? I guess so, but it's true.

So, I went to get a change in my hair. I came out with beautiful blonde highlights.

I loved it.

Trying to get a response out of my husband, I would ask him what he thought of my new hair.

"I like it dark" is all he would say.

As I asked my boys what they thought, they would say the same thing. A few months later, I went back to Madril and with summer coming, I had Sherilyn put even more blonde highlights in my hair.

I loved it.

Gordon's response, "I like it dark".

Even Scott wrote in a letter saying, "What did you do Mom, put highlights in your hair???"

With the approach of fall and on my next visit, I told Sherilyn that I had to get more brown back in my hair because all the men in my life liked it that way. "As a matter of fact", I said, "I really like yours". It was a nice, rich brown with some beautiful blonde/carmel highlights on the top. So that is what we decided to do. Now, I should mention that red hair runs in my family (right out of the clairol bottle usually) and my hair has a tendency to go that way.

I was a little nervous as Sherilyn put the last "glaze" on my hair. It looked very apricot, not the pretty brown-ish I was expecting. Sherilyn even commented on the "pretty" apricot color. I was getting a gnawing in my stomach at what I was seeing.

Then when she blew my hair dry I was slightly nauseated at what I was seeing. I jumped in the car and hurried home to see what it looked like in a different light. As the sunlight hit my hair, I felt like I had reflectors on it, it was so bright; the nausea threatened to overtake me.

Every woman knows the feeling I am talking about.

It was not apricot hair. It was copper penny red! I am serious. I called Madril back and told Sherilyn I could not live with it. She told me to come right back and she could diffuse the red with another glaze. Two glazes later, it was a little better and there was nothing more she could do. I went home and fixed it as usual and tried not to feel like Grandma Nola, my henna-bottled, red headed grandmother that I adored. The next day was the BSU game and all I had to do was wear a royal blue shirt with my hair and I showed true Bronco spirit.

The part that I am just now getting over? When Gordon came home from work that night and I showed him my new hair, this is what he said, "Don't take this the wrong way, but I really liked the blonde in your hair." Of course he did!

As my boys came over they would comment on my hair, "Well, isn't that nice?"

Or something equal to it.

As my hair has faded, I really love it. It is a rich auburn on the bottom with blondish-red highlights on the top. I am in a quandary as to what to do with it next because I can't go through the ultra red again to get it to this point. And, I really want the blonde highlights again. So what color will it be next month?

Something in the brown/auburn/blonde/red category, I'm sure. But hey, change is a good thing - right?

3 comments:

Robin said...

Pictures! Post pictures of your hair trials!

The best hair person in Boise is O'del at Graeber's Salon downtown. He is fab.u.lous. Really.

tell him I sent you. but call early, he schedules out about 3 months.

Laura said...

I loved the blonde in your hair, I say go back to it! That caramel look was SO beautiful!

WILLIAM AND LYNDA DAVIS said...

That's a funny story! I guess men have the option to "change their minds too!".

I've never had anything done with my hair (color wise) but may have to start soon. My beautician said last time my hair was cut that the color was starting to go "dull" and that happens right before it goes gray. She put something in it to shine it up.

So I guess I can have fun with color and highlights once that happens. A whole new world!