Sunday, October 12, 2008

I love My Sons



President Monson mentioned in his comments during conference that most parents experience a pang of loss from time to time after their children have left the nest. We still have Jess at home with us and so the nest is not empty yet, but all of my boys have flown and I just want to say how much I love them, appreciate them, and yes - miss them.

I'll start with Richard. One of the things I love the most about Richard is his sense of humor, as is evidenced in this picture. He always has just the funny thing to say at just the right moment and keeps us smiling and laughing when he's around. We all love to listen to him tell a story or experience because he does it so well. As my firstborn, we joke that he has been our guniea pig and that he still is. He has been so good natured about it!

As a mother, I feel so grateful to see this wonderful son so diligently complete his education, enter the work force, and support his family. He is such a hard worker and juggles so many things so well. But more than this, I feel blessed to see the kind of husband and father he has become. When I watch him with his two little boys, Cam and Eli, my heart swells. He was always good with kids; he practically raised Jessica and it was him that she took her first steps to. I am amazed at the instincts he has for teaching them responsibility and guiding them. I watch the boys, especially Cam, when Rich is talking and I see that Cam wants nothing more than to be just like his daddy.

Do I miss having him around and part of my everyday life? You bet! But to watch him as an adult is a rich experience that I wouldn't trade. Not only do I love him, but I like him.

You're next Ben....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Mom...that made my day! I love you!

Holly Ogden said...

That was so sweet to read. And I am happy to see you are still using the "happy birthday chuck" sign.

Gordon & Julie Bird Blog said...

I am planning to post that story - it is such a funny one, isn't it?

JoJo said...

That was great Julie, thanks!

Laura said...

It's true, Richard is great with kids! I remember when he would come and hang out with Brooke and he was always so nice to me. He was my favorite friend of Brooke's!