Thursday, October 23, 2008

Transported Back In Time

Have you ever heard a song on the radio and it transported you back to another time and place? That happened to me today - big time. Here's where it took me:
We were riding in Big red up the windey switchback road up to Sawtell in Island Park. Most every year we would drive up there and let the kids ride their bikes down. This particular year Gordon and I were in the front and in the back were Scott, Jessica and Spencer Foote (one of our adopted daughters). Scott was about 14 and Jess & Spencer were 10 and 9. Every year, we would have one CD that we would totally wear out on a trip and that year it was "The Best Of Simon & Garfunkel". I wish I could remember the proper name of the song, but the chorus goes, "Lie Lie-lie, (boom) Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie (repeat). I'm sure with that description, you know exactly what song I'm talking about...Anyway, whenever the boom part would come on, Scott would hold his hands up like he was shooting a shotgun. It was one of those things that you probably had to be there to get, but for the rest of that trip, the joke was, "Lie, Lie-Lie (boom)" and we would all shoot our shotguns. Literally, every time I hear that song, I think about a shotgun. But today, I thought about our Scottie boy and how much he is missed and Jess as a 10 year old, and I was having trouble keeping the tears from blurring my eyes as I drove - over a shotgun! A true blogger would have the technical savvy to have a clip of the song to play for you, but I'm not that technically developed - yet. If anyone knows the name of the song, please share.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Ben says the name of it is "The Boxer," but I knew exactly what you were talking about with the chorus. That is a great memory Julie, thanks for sharing it.

Robin said...

I love that song too. But I never ever thought of a shotgun. I get a weepy when we watch old family videos. Oh My Gosh...they make me cry.

JoJo said...

Remember when Scott was singing that during the fireworks at Island Park the year of "America Rules!"? Because there was so much time in between fireworks he would say "lie lie lie BOOM" ...

Gordon & Julie Bird Blog said...

Now I do! Thanks for adding to the memory, Jo. I guess it's more of a family joke than I thought.
It confirms my thought that memories should be written and shared or they will be forgotten.