Thursday, November 20, 2008

Conspicuous Consumption

It's that time of year again. Time to ramp it up for the holdiay shopping.

Every year, I swear I will spend less next year and not contribute to the conspicuous consumption that we Americans have become acustomed to. It is like an illness that we get and it seems so contrary to the real spirit of the season.

Like every year, I want to spend more time in service and thoughtful activities and less time shopping and spending.

So again this year, I will try to thoughtfully make a plan and

stick to it.

So far, I have made my list and found super deals.

Without revealing too much and ruining any surprises I have planned....

I went online to Bath & Body Works and purchased several products that were regularly $12.50 for $4.00 each plus free shipping. (I had a $10.00 coupon, too).

Online shopping is the way to go, man.

No lines, no road rage getting there, no temptations to buy "other stuff".

I highly recommend it.

Now, if I can just stick to my plan.

2 comments:

Tyler and Carisa said...

Christmas never really was the commercial holiday for me and my family growing up. We still bought and received presents but all my memories are of the family together spending time together.

I love that Tyler's family is the same way. His family doesn't do many presents - his entire extended family go on a vacation together for a couple weeks in between christmas and new years instead of spending a bunch of money on presents. So the day after christmas we are headed to California!! I think it's a much better plan to spend time with family and friends than with strangers waiting in long lines!! =D

WILLIAM AND LYNDA DAVIS said...

I agree Julie! Christmas has become so commercial that people are over stressed, in debt, and confused about what it's all about.

Special memories are what last and memories don't cost money. A gift to our Savior is much more meaningful than splurging on unnecessary gifts. We are celebrating HIS Birthday!

Thanks for reminding us all about this principle.
Jesus is the reason for the Season!