Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A "Put Away" House

Tonight my next door neighbor came over to bring some mail that had mistakenly gone to her mailbox. I invited her in and asked her if she had seen the house since we had remodeled it and she reminded me that she had come to a candle party I had earlier in the year. She made the comment, "your house is so 'put away'."

As the evening has gone on, I have pondered what that comment meant. Does it mean that everything looks put away in my house? I took it as a compliment and am grateful that she couldn't see inside my pantry, drawers, closets and storage room. I may be "put away" on the outside, but inside those doors there exists a life of it's own. The one exception is my home office; it is a mess. An organized mess, if you know what I mean. Maybe it's because every time I organize things, they just get unorganized. I am not one to keep too much clutter around but if you asked my husband, he would tell you I'm a pack rat. Not! If I put a rug away because I want a temporary change, he wants to know when we are getting rid of it. He is much, much more organized than I. In fact, every night he "stages" his clothing and things for the next day; lays them out nice and neat in perfect order. He even has a bedroom that he has taken over for staging purposes. It drives me batty, though because everything is "out". The other night I got out what I was going to wear for the next day (which I usually don't do but I had an extra early morning) and he exclaimed, "are you staging?". He was so thrilled and proud of me. I prefer to keep my things crammed into any drawer, closet or cupboard that I can so I don't get stressed out by "not being put away".

I have a friend who, when you open a towel cupboard for instance, the towels are perfectly lined up and color coordinated. It looks like Bed, Bath & Beyond. I cannot make that happen; well, maybe for 12 hours or so.

So I will have to settle for just being "put away".

Reading this post, maybe I need to be "put away". What do you think? I love comments!

7 comments:

Laura said...

I'm with Gordon on the staging. If I had space, I'd set up everything for the next day. I usually think about what I'll wear and set it in front of the other clothes. That way in the morning I can grab it in the dark and go! And as for the "putting away" you're always organized! Your house is always clean and in order, you're too hard on yourself!

Tami said...

I think you are organized and very "put together!" Is your neighbor that said that from another country? That's a phrase you don't hear every day. But then again, I haven't heard of "staging" either. Where have I been?! Way to make your husband happy and stage for him! :)

Robin said...

Ike is the stager in our house, but only if his room is clean (rarely). I need some of your put away-ness in my life.

WILLIAM AND LYNDA DAVIS said...

It sounds like a compliment to me to be "put away".
I guess everyone has their way of ORDER and it's all GOOD as long as it's not obsessive!

I'm like you with the messy desk syndrome. As soon as I get things put away, more things come out to work on. I have piles of placed items, but lately I've been working on trying to have a cleaner surface area to work on. It' s always a challenge, at least for me!

Courtney said...

I was a neat freak growing up! I'd spend hours (up at night) tidying and getting every little thing ready for the next day. Ryan still doesn't believe this! That is because something happened once Brinlee arrived-- I had to learn how to deal with baby toys cluttering my immaculate house! I have high hopes that someday I can again have a neat and orderly home! Your house has always been very clean everytime I've ever been there! Thanks for commenting... we are doing good- just staying busy with school, CPA and getting ready for baby #2 to make its debut the first week of January. We just moved into a little home in Sundance-- renting from super nice owners who aren't ready to sell yet-which works out just great for us, as we are in limbo until Ryan decides whether or not to go to law school!

JoJo said...

I LOVE to clean and organize,but like you, I find that the organization doesn't last. Which can be discouraging. But your neighbor is right, things are always put away in the Bird home. (Except the staging bed- but I realized that maybe Cameron is napping now in Jess's old room?)

Gordon & Julie Bird Blog said...

He still naps in the "staging" room, but always comments on what a mess it is!