Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Blahnuarys and my oldest friend

Before I talk about my oldest friend, I should say a little about January Blogging. I haven't posted much of late and the reason is this: the peace on earth, good will to men of December is past and I have the Blahnuary's.

Which is to say that before we can get to the blessed time of s
pring when my little green friends greet me from the ground, there is the abyss. And I have to admit that this year, the abyss seems longer, colder and darker. Could it be that I have been continually sick with the sniffles, sore throat, and ----diareaha.

So, now that I have prefaced this, I was getting the mail and noticed a nice card from my friend, Lynda Davis. Lynda and I were best friends in High School. We had a lot in common and had a great time together. I have always admired her. Her father worked for the government and occasionally we would (with permission) take one of these old gray government cars to go goofing around in. More than once we got into a tight spot with Lynda pulling into an alleyway and then discovering there were no locks on the government car.

We sang together, we went to games together, we both had other non-mutual friends, but we were always there for each other. A couple of things that happened in High School really molded Lynda into the person she is today. One, she was in a car full of friends from her ward/stake and they were hit head on. A good friend of hers, the boy sitting right next to her was killed. I know this was a difficult time for her, physically and emotionally.

Then in our Senior year, her parents had gone to Salt Lake and she was in charge of her younger siblings. The keys to the government car had been hidden, so that Jerry, her younger brother couldn't take the car. We had just finished lunch and Lynda got a call to go to the office. She came and told me that she had to get to the hospital right away. It turned out that Jerry had hotwired one of the government cars, and on his way to or from the school, hit a train. He was in critical condition. Lynda rushed to be with him. Her mother and father rushed home from Salt Lake, but I believe it was too late by then. Lynda had to shoulder all of this on her own. I'd like to say that I was a better friend than I was to her at this time, but I'm not sure I was. I didn't really know what to do. I hope that in some way, I helped her through it. (Lynda, I hope I got all of the details right......)

With her experiences and the experiences that I had been through earlier in my life, we became two "mature beyond our years" young ladies, but still with that fun-loving streak.

When it came time for college, Lynda went to BYU Provo and I to BYU Idaho (Ricks College). We stayed close and in contact and when I married Gordon, she was my maid of honor and when she married William less than 2 weeks later, I was her "matron"of honor.

We both had four boys and one girl; her girl came in the middle and mine at the end. Three of her sons have served (one serving in Las Vegas right now) missions and her high school senior will be soon to follow, I'm sure. She has raised a beautiful family in New Bremen, OH.

Richard tells me that he can tell from reading Lynda's comments on my blog how much alike we are and he can see how we were and are friends. I thought that was"way cool".

Back to my Blahnuary day at the mailbox; I opened the box and there was a letter for me from Lynda. A beautiful hand made birthday card telling me that she loves me and is grateful for our friendship and that she is proud of me.

Talk about taking a blahnuary day and blowing it right apart! That's when I knew that I had to do a post of my oldest and dearest friend. Although we've always exchanged Christmas and Birthday cards, we have reconnected this past year through technology and it has been great. I don't think this picture will do her justice, but here goes:

Lynda Rossiter Davis.

8 comments:

Tyler and Carisa said...

Love it!!! Life long friends are some of the greatest of God's gifts to us! Getting letters in the mail is always such a welcomed treat!

Laura said...

What a great tribute to your friend. I wish they lived closer so we could all meet your lifelong friend.

Laura said...

I pushed enter before I meant to....haha. Anyway, I was going to say I wish she lived closer so we could meet her and hear stories of Julie, the high school years. I'm sure she'd have some great ones to tell with a few Julie"isms" to add.

Tami said...

I am in awe of people who suffer such tragedies as you described. She sounds like an amazing woman. No wonder the two of you are such good friends...so much alike! There is a special spot that only another girlfriend can fill.

Clint and Kandi said...

Oh my goodness! Julie! Lynda Rossiter! I love her too. She was a freshman cheerleader with me and so much more grownup than I would ever be. I remember how spiritual she was and what a good example she was to me. I was not quite ready for all that when she bore her tastimony to me right there in my old beat up car on the way home from somethin or other. Wow what a light and what a mature girl. This was before all of the car accidents. I thought her brother jerry died in that first accident. It seems right that you two would be dear friends. What a sweet tribute. I am not sure that I have an old friend like that. Hmmm I wish I could see her picture better. How can I do that?

Taylor said...

Yes, I want to see the picture bigger too! I love looking at my mom's old yearbooks!!

Gordon & Julie Bird Blog said...

If you want to see her picture, look at the blogs on the right of my blog and you can click on William and Lynda Davis blog:)

WILLIAM AND LYNDA DAVIS said...

Wow Julie, Talk about blowing me away!!!
It is one of the kindest things you could have possibly done. I have tears writing falling down my cheeks as I write this comment. I too am so grateful to have a friend like you and to feel the connection from our High School days to the present. It is wonderful to have someone know me so intimately and so well, and have that connection for over 34 years. I hope your birthday was a very happy one!

I'm sorry it's taken so long to get back to you about this. I just experienced our son Ryan getting married and THREE wedding receptions to go along with it. Ryan and Sarah's last reception was this past Friday night (January 16th) in Ohio and the newlyweds and Marc, Laura Lee and Addie just left today. It's been wonderful, but I am exhausted!

Anyway, thanks again for your sweet and kind words. Our experiences, especially our most difficult trials do shape us into who we are and you especially were dealt with a major tragedy so young in life. You have been able to make your trials stepping stones (like Neal A. Maxwell's says in the January 2009 Ensign reprint of his talk).

I hope we can always be dear friends! I love you Julie! Thank you for your loving ways and your sweet tribute. It overwhelmed me!

P.S. For anyone else reading this------------boy DO I HAVE STORIES!!!!!! - but SO DOES JULIE!! (: