Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Introducing....THE BLACK MARAUDER


We took our new boat, the black marauder, out for her maiden voyage today. It seems weird to say "her", as "marauder" is such a masculine name. Whenever the guys go snowmobiling, they call Gordon "the black marauder" because he dresses all in black. The name just seemed natural for this boat.


We took Jess, Meghan and some "friends" out today to celebrate the last day of school - pictures to follow tomorrow.

From the earlier post, it is obvious that we loved the blue boat. We had several times where we questioned our decision. "Who gets rid of a boat that they absolutely love?" We were apprehensive at how the new boat would compare. The reason that we traded up at this time is that because of our ailing economy, we could buy a brand new boat at almost the price we paid for the blue boat 10 years ago. It made sense for us.

The debut of the marauder was a success. First, when Gordon backed her down and I started her up - she didn't fire.

GREAT. Won't start.

We just drifted as I tried and tried. We got her over to the dock and I pumped the throttle once (something Gordon told me not to do) and she started right up. Must have been maiden voyage jitters because she runs great. And I'll be sure not to do that again....unless she won't start.

We were worried about the size of the wake, it being a little deeper boat. When Jess and Meghan skied, it did look a little bigger. When I skied, I thought it was bigger too, but definitely manageable. All three of us popped right up on the first try. And any additional wake is offset by the way the boat handles other boat wake. She purrs right over it like nuttin'; not a jolt - not a vibration. She turns on a dime. She has great cup-holders; that's a deciding factor in buying a boat, right?

It's the beginning of a beautiful thing.

(I have to admit that this post is mainly for Scott, our missionary. I know he reads the blog and based on an anonymous comment on the blue boat "What, that boat is a member of the Bird Family, not merely a friend!!!"
Hopefully, this explanation of the marauder will help with the transition.)

6 comments:

WILLIAM AND LYNDA DAVIS said...

Sounds like she will be the boat the grand children will grow up with! Have a great time water skiing with her this summer! I'm happy for you all.

Laura said...

We can't wait to begin the memories! I love the disclaimer at the bottom. I'll have to go back and read that one:)

James Bird said...

Pretty exciting. We can't wait to get out on the water!

Michelle said...

What a beauty! What's funny to me about this post is that we call my Kenzie the silent maurader. hmmmm. I wonder if your husband and my Kenzie share some of the same sneaky traits. ;) I hope the boat can live up to HER name!

Melanie Rae Gibson said...

I'm glad to hear that the Other Birds aren't without a boat... I was very sad about the blue boat. I feel better now knowing that you have another

Tami said...

Congrats on the new addition to your family! She's a beaut!