Thursday, June 25, 2009

A Music/Dance Icon

I was saddened today by the death of Michael Jackson.

During the 80's he was IT. My little family listened to him all the time. We had his "tape" and played it all the time on the "boombox". When I taught aerobics, we had the "Bad" album and did many routines to it. I loved all of his music; it was so unique and easy to dance to.

The "Thriller" video is one of my favorite of all time. When I was Stake YW president, we would do the dance when the music was played and had great fun trying.

Although some associations with him I prefer not to remember; crotch grabbing, perv behaving, nose losing to name a few, I believe his music will be remembered and that he will become a legend the likes of Elvis Presley.

I'm going to make a "best of MJ" CD for the boat.

1 comment:

WILLIAM AND LYNDA DAVIS said...

I agree with your sentiments.

The world has lost a genius. He was one of the most talented individuals ever - in my book. His music and dance were magical together.

I have been praying for his family. I know they are in deep mourning right now.

A few years ago my dance students danced to "thriller" and they and the audience loved it. I have been a fan of his music also.

Michael's life was so full of contradictions. It's proof that stardom, fame and money do not make a person happy. In fact, I think it caused much of his bizarre behavior.

His life also teaches us that a wonderful childhood can never be underestimated or replaced, and that the main need we all have is to be loved unconditionally.