Thursday, February 26, 2009

Basic Math

Warning: this is a "vent" story, so if you are not up to it, read no further.

I am a coupon shopper and a bargain shopper; I do it for sport and I love the rush I get when I get something for next to nothing. One of my favorite things to do is use the "Fred Meyer" coupons that come on Sunday at a store closer by, that shall not be named (they "graciously" take them). But I am starting to reconsider and just go to FM. There are some incredible deals in there; for instance:

100 capsules of store brand ibuprofen was buy one get one free. At TSTSNBN, they were on sale for $3.99 and happened to have an extra 100 capsule attached. So I ended up with four 100 capsule ibuprofen for $3.99.

I mentioned that TWSNBN "graciously" accepts the other store coupons; but you have to go through a check out and not use self check-out (which I love). I am very picky about which checker I go to, because quite frankly, some of them can't do basic Math. This is very tricky stuff:

Two Bryers ice cream at 4.99 and then because of your little card, you get another .99 cents off and I have a coupon for $2.77. Naturally, you would subtract $2.77 from the $4.00 and take $1.33 off times 2 for a total of $2.66 off on that coupon. I have started doing the Math before I even go to the check out to save a scene.

And - I never go to a male checker in any store because they have trouble multi tasking and it takes waaayyy too much time.

So, the other day I was getting ready to check out and carefully picked a checker that had done the math before. The store was fairly busy and there were lots of people in line and by the time it was my turn, the female checker went on a break and there was a male checker.

Needless to say, it was fairly miserable watching him try to do the math (are there rules against calculators at grocery stores?) and making the line of people wait. At last we were at the end and I said I didn't think he got the Bryers coupon. He exasperatingly rolled his eyes and sighed and said, "Yes, I got your Bryers coupon". (Code for: "You stupid, idiot, moneysaving woman!")

He didn't. (I had a code look of my own going on).

Another line at the "customer service" counter and I was finally ready to go, but not before an other agonizing Math scene with a male checker. I had to go buy a diet coke out of the keosk just to manage.

Basically, the only time I go to TSTSNBN is to coupon shop because their prices are so high, but I am considering a boycott altogether.

Maybe they are just uptight about the amount I save when I shop there.

I feel so much better for venting:)

2 comments:

Laura said...

I'm with you. After you mentioned the male checker thing I've started avoiding them and wow, you're so correct! How have I gone wrong all these years:)

Robin said...

I have started the coupon thing too. I just want to yell "I JUST GOT NAME BRAND CEREAL FOR 75 CENTS!" It is very rewarding. I am heading to Albertsons to get that cereal today!